Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Birthdays and cakes...

...well, one cake. One, nicely decorated, birthday cake:
Monday was my little brother's 5th birthday, and I baked and decorated his cake. This was my first time using a pastry bag, and I must say it turned out better than I thought it might. The only thing I had trouble with was the writing... I can't write with icing! At least not cursive writing, which is what I was doing. It's supposed to say "Happy Birthday Colin!!!", but I was having trouble making o's, so it kind of looks like "Calin"...oh well, it's not like we didn't know what it was supposed to say, and he can't read anyway!

Dad's off work this week, so we're sort of on vacation. We're not going anywhere, but we are relaxing! It's too hot to go anywhere anyway. I think we're going to go play miniature golf some night this week, and hopefully it will be cooler at night! It's been in the 90's and humid, ugh... it hasn't really been bothering me a whole lot, I was freezing all through our mild winter, so it feels kind of good... but there are days that it's just too hot! Today would be one of those. I went outside to water the garden and just about melted. I think some of it depends on whether I want to be hot or not...and this time I didn't. I wasn't planning on changing my clothes, and I didn't want to get them wet, so I wasn't too happy to be hot!

Let's see, I've finished school until September. So I get about a month off, and I need to be working on stuff for the fair. The fair's in October, so I have about two months. I'll be starting school after my birthday, which is September 4th.

This is what happens when you have an aluminum pie pan left over from a science experiment, a cat nearby, and too much time on your hands:


I had a pie pan that had a quarter of it cut away, and I was just messing with it, and twisted it into a sort of pointy hat...and then the cat was right there... Of course, she wasn't very happy or cooperative:




I haven't got a whole lot more done on my room, but I got some drawer pulls installed on the dresser. It looks really nice, and I'll post pictures when I've taken some.

Blogger's picture thing doesn't seem to be working right, I can't get any pics to load. I'll try later, and until then it's going to have to be pictureless, bother!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great cake! I wouldn't mind getting a cake like that for my birthday! I am sure Colin was excited. Since I am an artist, I have tried my hand at some cake decorating also, but it is definitely harder than it looks. Where's a pencil and paper when you need them?

N said...

Thank you! When's your birthday? :-)
Yes, Colin loved it! It really is a different sort of... material... I guess. I really like it though...except that it's a rather sticky process! :)