Saturday, January 19, 2008

Breakfast smoothies


This is just how I like my smoothie, but basically you can put just about anything in!

4-6 ice cubes
2 cups plain yogurt
2 T. sugar
2 T. honey
2 t. vanilla
1 cup frozen fruit

Crush the ice cubes in the blender first. Add the yogurt, sugar, honey, and vanilla. Mix the honey into the yogurt a little bit with a spoon, trying to avoid the sides of the blender. (Once the honey gets stuck on the sides it is hard to get off.) Add the frozen fruit. (I've been using a blend of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.) Blend this all together thoroughly and eat!
This makes two servings.

I use plain yogurt, so if you use vanilla yogurt you probably won't need the sugar, honey, or vanilla....unless you like it really, really sweet!
The berry blend I'm using now is a bit tart and you end up with seeds in your smoothie, so if you don't like that, I would suggest some other sort of fruit. I'm thinking of getting a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco and making a strawberry/banana smoothie. If you don't mind bananas, they're supposed to make a smoothie a little bit thicker too. You could add the berries to that as well...as I said there's really no one way to make them, but I gave you the basic proportions anyway.

I'm thinking of getting some calcium/magnesium powder to add, because those are two things I need to get more of, but I can't swallow the pills. I imagine there are tons of other protein powders and stuff, but if you start adding too many healthy things, I'm not sure how long it will taste good! :D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good! We have done homemade smoothies before. You can also get a blender that has a spout just for making and then drinking smoothies. (We don't have one!)

N said...

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen those special smoothie makers.

Olivia Joy said...

Oh yum! I am going to try this for breakfast tomorrow!
Due to some extremely annoying health issues I have to go on a very strict diet....Sometimes I feel like going outside and scratching through the snow and finding some grass, for a slight variation! Okay, I admit, it isn't that bad ;)
But anyways, this looks like a breakfast I can eat! Except for the sugar, what do you suggest? Just cutting it out completely or adding slightly more honey?

N said...

Aw...I'm so sorry! I'd hate having to only eat certain things! What all can't you eat?

Hmm...well, if you can't eat sugar...I would probably double the amount of honey, or if you use a sweeter fruit it may not need as much sweetening. I can't think of anything else...oh, actually, you could probably add some frozen orange juice, but I'm not sure how sweet that would be, or if you could eat that. I hope that helps! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blogroll seems to be growing quite a bit...I am gonna check out all the blogs!

Sorry...that was one of those "comments that has absolutely nothing to do with the post's content"...I am gonna leave some on other blogs now...

Olivia Joy said...

Hmmm, lets see.....I can eat some fruits (ones that aren't too high in sugar, such as apples....um, that's about it :)
Certain veggies, but only lightly steamed, not cooked or anything.
No flour, sugar or dairy.
So ya that's about it.

A breakfast usually includes some oatmeal....And if you don't eat it fast enough (as my little sis put it) it turns into chewing gum.

A lunch is always a salad.

And dinner includes eating everything on the table that I can and drooling at what everyone else is eating :)

The only good thing about it is that I never have to worry about my weight :)
When I first started I lost 20 lbs. the first 3 weeks.
But I really don't have any weight to lose so it ended up not being a very good thing.
I am working on trying to eat a healthy snack in between meals just so that I quit losing weight.

N said...

Oh wow...that doesn't leave you much, does it? :( I'd have trouble eating enough too. I don't have any restrictions on my food, but I don't really don't have any weight to lose either!

I'm very sorry for you, but you did make me thankful to not have any health issues regarding food!