Monday, January 21, 2008

Sewing

Here's what I've been working on sewing-wise. I bought the fabric quite a while ago, but I haven't had time till now to do any sewing.

All I've done so far is cut out the fabric and sew the four skirt panels together (wrong sides together). I like to do French seams because it binds the seams neatly, which will be good for this especially, because this is corduroy that would probably fray pretty badly.

To make a French seam, you sew the pieces wrong sides together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance. Then you trim the seam allowance down to 1/8, turn the pieces around wrong sides together, and sew a 1/4 inch seam. That's if your seam allowance is supposed to be 5/8, if not you have to subtract 1/4 from whatever it's supposed to be and sew that first. Did that make any sense? I'll show pictures when I get to that point. That's actually what I'll be doing next, then I have to attach the waistband and sew a zipper in. I don't like sewing zippers, but this should be easier than the other two things I've made with zipper (a rayon skirt and dress with a long zipper)!

I'm also almost done with the hat I'm knitting...I'll post pictures of it when I get it done. I only have maybe twelve rows to go.

After I get these things done I'm not sure what my next knitting project will be, but I need to find a pattern for the fabric I bought last month. Oh yeah, that's right, my knitting project will be a shrug to go over the dress I make with that fabric! Well, maybe I can knit something else before I start on that.

So I think I'll go look at the McCall's, Butterick, and Vogue pattern websites for dress patterns, because Hancock Fabrics is supposed to have those patterns on sale in February...

No comments: