Thursday, June 11, 2009

Random stuff to check out

Hey there! Nope, no long post. Truth be told, I'm rethinking it. I'm afraid it was coming out kind of mean, and that's not really what I was going for.

First of all, I'm listening to this: I Need Thee Every Hour ~Jars of Clay As I told my cousin, it makes me want to pick up a guitar and play that song and sing really loudly. If...I could play guitar and the song was in the right key for me. (Actually...if I was singing by myself, and not along with the recording, it might be the right key. I sing fairly low.) Great song. Really good.

I have a cold...yet again. I got through the winter with only one cold I think, and now I'm getting all sorts of stuff. What's up with that? Fortunately colds don't completely flatten me like they used to. I felt rather miserable this time, but I still made it to work and all. Hot tea is your friend. Along with Google...but that's for research and the tea is for colds. And I'm in a rather odd mood...perhaps because I've been drinking caffeinated tea all day. Although...that reminds me that last Friday I drank a whole quart of iced tea and it didn't keep me awake at all. Odd.

What else I've been listening to this week is a CD by The Avett Brothers. They're a North Carolina-based group. I'm not sure how to describe their music, except that it's sort of bluegrass, alt. rock, etc. all combined. Non-whiny bluegrass with hints of Coldplay/Keane, and dashes of pop music. And if that sounds atrocious, give it a chance and listen to some songs, cause it really is good. One of very few CDs that I've listened to and enjoyed first time through. I usually have to listen to most songs a couple times before I really like them. Check it out, you can listen to all the songs online!

Dad and Colin and I went to Greensboro Saturday so I could get my laptop fixed at the Apple store. It was cracking along the edge of the keyboard...which was a problem with the first generation of these Macbooks. So anyway, Apple is fixing them even if they're not under warranty anymore. So I called Applecare and got that all sorted out, then called the Apple store to make an appointment and make sure they had the part in stock. Very helpful service both times.
When I got there it turns out they didn't have the exact part for my computer, because it's apparently the very first generation of black Macbooks. So after some debate between two of the Mac geniuses, they decided the newer one would work, because the only thing they changed was something about the contacts (???) and the plastic was improved (which it needed to be obviously, right?) so that was better anyway. It ended up taking longer than I thought it was going to, but they replaced the whole keyboard/trackpad assembly. That's a major plus because since I bought this new USED, it had already had the oomph taken out of the keys and a shiny spot worn on the trackpad. Now the trackpad is nicely textured, and the keys click quite satisfactorily. Plus they cleaned all the dust off it. When the guy was opening it and looking at it, I gasped and rather apologetically said I had no idea it was that dusty! And I didn't...they have good light in those stores and I was shocked to see how much dust was on it. I'll have to make sure I dust it more regularly. :/

Hmm...oh, I bought a new camera! A splendid digital SLR camera. And quite frankly, I don't understand how to use it all yet, but already I can tell the difference between it and my little 4 mega pixel point-and-shoot camera. 10.1 mega-pixels. It's a Canon Rebel XTi. I got it on eBay for about $470, plus it had a 2g CF card and Apple Aperture software with it. Now I just need to find a camera bag...something fairly small, but with some compartments for lenses, but they cost what seems like way too much! Bleh.

So, yeah. I've been thinking about a ton of different things, but nothing I either want to blog about, or am ready to blog about yet. But, that's what I've been busy with recently...lots of thinking. Oh, and doing some sewing. And sometimes both at once....ouch. I did run the needle halfway through my fingernail the other day.

Napkins!








Oh, and the Boundless webzine is awesome. Hehe...that was random, I have it linked in my sidebar and have been reading it for a while, but I've been reading some old articles on there, and really loving it. So yeah...check it out. "Extreme conversation starters for 20somethings" it says on there somewhere. Well....yeah, okay. That makes me laugh for some reason...the "20somethings" part I guess. Anyway, it also says "Boundless is a ministry for those in the transitional years between high school graduation and parenthood." That makes more sense to me.

3 comments:

Amanda A Gordon said...

Your long blog may be "kind of mean." My... :)

I am excited for you for the purchase of the new camera. I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Note: I keep rereading this blog and finding "hidden" notes, such as you running a needle through your fingernail! :)

N said...

Well...I was disagreeing with something and it was coming out harsher than I was going for. So I may try to fix, it or I may decide it's best to ditch it.

Thanks! I'm going to be figuring it out for awhile!

Haha...because that's the way my brain was working last night. :P Personally I like random posts like that, but maybe it annoys people?

rebecca said...

I like the Boundless webzine too! Especially now that I am a "young adult" :P

I totally get what you mean about the post being "too mean"...I have spent lots of time in planning and writing posts and ended up deleting them for the same reason.