Sunday, November 04, 2007

Of fish and sin...sort of! :)

So this evening after church, I walked back into the sanctuary just before we left and caught the tail end of a discussion about food.
When I got there, they were saying that saffron is expensive, but not if you buy it at the Hispanic market. Which we have one right down the road from us, so Mom was telling about when she had Dad go there to look for fish bouillon. They used to sell fish bouillon at the grocery store in the Hispanic aisle, but they either stopped making it, or just stopped carrying it at our grocery store.

So she wrote down what the package would say in Spanish: "caldo de pescado", so that he would be able to find it. As it turns out they had shrimp bouillon, not fish. The shrimp tastes even better, because we put it in clam chowder and it adds a nice seafood flavor and a pretty pink color. Anyway, my friend Jess (who speaks Spanish) mentioned that you would have to be careful not to say "caldo de pecado", because that translates to "sin broth"! :) Apparently the word for "fish" and "sin" are only one letter different!

The conversations we have at church!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment on you having "P. G. Wodehouse" on your favorite books list -- because I thought I was the only one who read his stuff!!!! I LOVE Wodehouse!!!! And all things Brittish. And sin -- I mean fish!!!!!!! Fish, not sin.

N said...

Wow! I've think I've only met maybe one or two other people who have even heard of P.G. Wodehouse, but his books are so good!
After you read a lot of them (which I have) you realize the plots are often pretty similar, but they're still funny!